[pmwiki-users] Sub-dividing page files into sub-folders within each Group folder

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Mon Dec 19 15:23:57 CST 2011

What if you are in GroupA.Afile and you try to read
{GroupA.Bfile$:foo} or try to (:include GroupA.Bfile:) -- your $Name1
is going to be set to A within your config.php but your PTV processor
or your include function needs to look within the B directory.  How
will a pagelist learn how to look through all the possible directories
to find the files rather than just looking in the current contents of
$Name1?  I think you're going to have to go to a lower level to solve
this problem, replacing the PageStore class (or at least extending it,
most notably adding functionality to pagefile() and perhaps ls()) with
some added functionality.

I have read of instances of pmwiki operating comfortably with many
thousands of files within a single directory.  I would take *great*
care to examine your presuppositions (i.e., that the number of files
needs to be limited to roughly 1000) with great care before spending a
lot of time trying to make this change.  Personally I would probably
change my host before making this change -- certainly if a given host
has that problem it is not something endemic to linux boxes and so a
host-change should solve the problem...  I don't pretend to know the
specifics of your situation or needs -- I'm just suggesting taking
another look before you invest too much time and effort in solving a
problem which does not exist on other systems...

If the difficulty is in deleting those spam comments, have you tried
installing a PHP-based file browser as I mentioned?  The first one
that comes up in the search is
http://encode-explorer.siineiolekala.net/ and it looks like it would
do the trick for you...

-Peter