[pmwiki-users] Patrick: Is the PmWiki header picture GPL'd?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Dec 3 18:53:29 CST 2011

Hello Patrick,

The PmWiki logo on Wikipedia was nominated for deletion. Wikipedia more and
more tends to accept images under a Free license such as CC-BY-SA, GNU FDL or
GNU GPL.

Can we assume that this file pmwiki-32.gif, which is included in the core
PmWiki distribution, is also covered by the GNU GPL?

  http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki/pub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki-32.gif

Moreover, this SVG file is probably a derivative version of the pmwiki-32.gif:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/pmwiki/pub/skins/boira/images/pmwiki.svg

The file is part of the Boira skin [1], created by Carles Escrig i Royo and
released under the CC-BY-SA license. As a copyright holder of the original
picture, can you grant a permission for this derivative work to be released
under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License ?

I am asking you in the mailing list, because a published written note by you
will make the Wikipedia procedure much easier.

We only need to upload one file on Wikipedia, and the SVG format is better.

Thanks,
Petko

[1] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Boira