[pmwiki-users] Making homepage links inoperative until newcomers register first

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sat Apr 2 11:31:42 CDT 2011

Saturday, April 2, 2011, 5:16:11 PM, Hans wrote:

> There is  bigger problem with setting a default read password in
> config.php and setting @nopass for read attribute in Main.HomePage:
> Main.HomePage will not display an SideBar content, nor any PageHeader
> or footer or any of the action menus. It looks a bit stripped.
> None of the sub-pages get loaded.

To get those pages to display, which are part of the page structure
(and therefore I called them sub-pages) you need to do one additional
step:

Go to Site.GroupAttributes?action=attr
and set @nopass as  a 'read' attribute.
Now all pages in the Site group can be read, and theefore they
display just fine in Main.HomePage.

It should not be  a security risk to have read access to the Site group
pages. The pages which may need protection fro public view are in
the SiteAdmin group.

Sorry if this seems a rather complex setup for your situation.
But I think you get exactly what you want.

The links in the SideBar which you like any site visitor to see
are active, but when clicking any, the visitor will get directed to
the page and will be prompted for name and password, because the
visitor has not logged in (not registered).

  ~Hans