[pmwiki-users] What attachment operations do you want or need?

SteP step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com
Fri May 7 09:36:19 CDT 2010

Eemeli Aro wrote:

> On 6 May 2010 11:49, SteP <step.list+pmwiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like a way to upload - and markup - images without being
>> aware of their underlying file type.
>
> This should actually be relatively easy, made up of two parts. How
> about this:
>
> When uploading, if there is no file extension or if the extension
> isn't recognised, you append the extension of the file as it was on
> the user's local machine.

Sounds good.
What if there are multiple basenames with different extensions on the
user's machine? It's a common case when users work with image files.

> When marking up, add a replace-on-edit rule for Attach:... if there is
> no file extension or if the extension isn't recognised, in which case
> the extension of the first matching uploaded attachment is appended.

When there are multiple uploaded matches (same basename with different
extensions) I would also like an option that will automatically expand a
single Attach into multiple Attaches. In other words, if there are
multiple matches, the user should visually see it in the page.

> This won't handle PNGs mislabeled as GIFs or other such mistakes, but
> for images at least in my experience browsers are actually pretty good
> at ignoring incorrect information and just showing the picture.

Ffox is good. IE not always. However, auto fixing mislabeled image files
is beyond the scope, I think.

> Are typos in the extension (eg. GFI, PING) common enough that they
> should be recognised and fixed?

I don't think so.