[pmwiki-users] How to submit patches to PmWiki?

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Jun 26 09:56:09 CDT 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 13:34:26 Eemeli Aro wrote:
> What's the proper way of submitting/proposing patches to the PmWiki
> core?

New features added to the core should be potentially usefull to many people
from the community. One way to find out if it is the case, is to have a PITS
entry with a discussion and votes from the community. (A message to
pmwiki-users with a link to the PITS entry might bring more participants.)

OTOH, I feel some recipes have far more features that most wikis require, so,
should we consider adding a recipe to the core and supporting it for
eternity, we might decide to implement a smaller set of its features.

> I've ended up fixing some things in the core files that couldn't
> be easily patched elsewhere, and I figure these might be useful to
> others as well.

If the feature cannot be added like usually other recipes can, we could at
least add some way (variable or "hook") to make this easier, without changing
the default PmWiki behavior.

This, if it is not against common sense, and is in the spirit of PmWiki, it
can be added quickly.

> A few of these I've added PITS entries for, but they
> seem to have been swallowed up among the 1100 other entries.

I am trying to review all PITS entries starting from the most recent ones
(already looked at all >=01000). I am also monitoring the daily changes to
the PITS group, so I can see where is the action.

If I have overlooked or forgotten some important issues in PITS, please mail
me a list and I'll look at them more carefully.

> So what's the procedure that'll be most likely to have Patrick and/or
> Petko look at my code in a good light? Posting a unified diff to
> pmwiki-devel along with a description, or something else?

Please do.

Thanks,
Petko