[pmwiki-users] Improving PITS

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Wed Jul 8 20:37:07 CDT 2009

Petko Yotov wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 20:02:48 Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> I don't want entries with a single vote "5" ordered before entries with many
> votes like "55555 331". For me, votes "55444431X" are of higher priority than
> one vote "5", even if "5444431X" has an average lower than 4. That's why
> there is a lower limit.
I'm not a mathematician, but perhaps there is some algorithm we can
apply such that entries with a lot of votes get weighted differntly to
those with few.

Thus some thing with a spread of votes 55555 44444 33333 will get a 4.7
average (rather than the 'obvious' 4), because of the number of votes.
Whereas something with a single 5 gets a 3.5, because it doesn't yet
have a 'critical mass' of support.

(These numbers are for example only not the actual figures I'd use.)

  ~ ~ Dave