[pmwiki-users] Rating cookbooks

john.rankin at affinity.co.nz john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Fri Jan 23 14:41:42 CST 2009

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 06:02:43PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
>> - whichever term is chosen, I think ~~~~ may be a simplification
>>   too far; I would really like to see a comment associated with
>>   the name (rejecting any comments that contain a url)
>
> Okay, if ~~~~ is too simple, then perhaps something like
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimpleRating?  This
> could be coupled with a form or link to make it easier to
> add ratings, and changing the name to "recommendations"
> or "friends" or whatever?
>
> Pm

Well, rating is a different concept. What I like about friend,
endorse, recommend (following Christian's excellent post,
I will use "support") is that the supporter is making some
kind of commitment. If I say I support this recipe, I am in
some small way giving my word, so it is not something I
do lightly. This is what gives value to others -- that many
people are prepared to say "I support this".

On the other hand, if I rate something, I am not making
the same kind of commitment and a rating places no
obligations on the rater. We are trying to cover a lot of
qualities with this idea: fitness for a purpose, depth of
testing, security, usability, reliability and so on. Trying
to reduce this to a rating is, in my view, too simple.

So I come back to "Support this recipe" and tell others why
you support it. A range of comments will give others an
insight into the things that people have found to support.
They are like one line reviews. I would like to see us treat
recipes as small works of art, like a book or a movie or a
song. Even a bad movie deserves a short review to go with
its one star rating.

JR