[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 08:20:59 CST 2009

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

[...]

>But this is exactly my point -- there's not just one "preferred way".
>The preferred way is usually within the context of "What are you
>trying to achieve?"

correct. So we have to collect possible usage scenarios and find the
"prefferred way" for some important (who decides?) ones.

>If this group manages to come up with a consensus of exactly
>what user authentication should look like, then perhaps we can
>publish that.  In the past that hasn't happened -- there's not
>a consensus opinion as to even what the "preferred" setup should be.
>
>Put another way:  If you want *my* strictly personal idea of a
>"preferred setup", then my answer is going to be that I don't want
>user-based authentication on any of the sites I run.  That
>approach has worked _extremely_ well for me for all of the sites
>I manage, and it's what PmWiki supports "out of the box".  :-)

For "open" wikis with many fluctuating contributors this is likely the
best way.

Also our intranet wiki has no access control beyond the "out of the
box" admin locked pages.

As soon as (at least a part of) the wiki content is maintained by a
group of people, and nobody else shall be able to change the content
for some reason (e.g. liability), a user based authentication will be
demanded.

Example: A company or association is using (part of) the wiki as CMS.
If a member leaves the company, his access rights should be dropped,
but the other members shouldn't be bothered.

Oliver