[pmwiki-users] User rating of cookbook recipes

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 08:20:52 CST 2009

"Patrick R. Michaud" wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 09:35:32PM +0100, Oliver Betz wrote:
>> > I agree that it would greatly help to make AutUser easier to
>> > understand, and we need to do that.  But so far most of the
>> > descriptions I've seen about "the right way to set up AuthUser"
>> > end up being wrong for about 50% of the people looking to use it.
>>
>> IMO it's _essential_ that users can change their password without
>> administrator intervention. HtpasswdForm is an indispensable addition
>> to AuthUser.
>
>I agree that we need a way to update passwords without
>administrator intervention.  There has been some discussion
>as to whether passwords belong in individual Profile or
>"user preferences" pages, or if they belong in a global
>file such as SiteAdmin.AuthUser .  Even after thinking
>about it for many years, I'm not sure I know the answer to
>that one yet.

Since I use (and like) HtpasswdForm, I'm quite happy with the
.htpasswd and .htgroup files and see no reason against a central
storage for authentication data.

BTW: Although I mentioned "Self registration" being a part of
DokuWiki, I'm not an ardent advocate of it. It _might_ be a barrier
against vanalism etc. but not very effective. It's a matter of seconds
to get access with a disposable e-mail address.

But it's also an annoyance for the honest contributor, and maybe he
decides not to add some valuable content if he has to register.

If the user can't protect some more data, e.g. a profile page, I see
not too much benefit in self registration.

Oliver