[pmwiki-users] Blogger Update and Request for Brainstorming

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Tue Jan 20 18:50:09 CST 2009

-- Update --
Just wanted to provide a quick update on where Blogger is (ref
Cookbook/Blogger). Things are pretty much done at this point. Right now
I'm working to make sure the skinning process is smooth -- so you can
switch from one skin to another, and have the various elements work
together.

Anyway, the whole reason for Bloggers existence is so I can move away
from Drupal which powers a few of my sites. In that vein, check out
http://test.davidgilbert.org/ -- this is a PmWiki based version of the
Drupal site at http://davidgilbert.org/. The two are pretty much
functionally equivalent, although the Blogger version does have a few
additional features (like pagination, which I could never work out in
Drupal).

-- Brainstorm --
The one big thing remaining, and the reason Blogger is still in 'alpha'
is the data structure. I'm not convinced the current approach is right,
and think there's a better approach out there. Right now I'm storing all
page data as PmForms fields, including the page content. This works
fine, but has two shortcomings:
1] There's no smooth way to alter existing pages into the Blogger format
-- copy and paste is the way. I can't work out a way to feed existing
page content into a PmForm textarea (same problem as the 'alternate [a]'
approach below).

2] If someone decides to stop using Blogger, they will need to redefine
a markup (easy to do) to ensure pages are visible. Not a significant
problem, but there nonetheless.

Alternate [a]: It seems to me that storing the content as a normal
standalone page, with a linked 'data' page is a better approach. The
link could be soft (naming or group convention), or with a physical
link. The problem is that I can't get this to work with PmForms. For
instance, trying to make the content appear as a field by encapsulating
it in (:..:..:) from pageHeaders/footers, and then using a form, doesn't
work. It seems like content in headers/footers is not recognized by PmForms.

Other thoughts using PmWiki core code welcomed.

  ~ ~ Dave