[pmwiki-users] Recommended recipes?

Twylite twylite at crypt.co.za
Fri Aug 28 07:55:18 CDT 2009

Thanks Ray,
> In my experience pmwiki lends itself well to starting simple,
> sandboxing, adding functionality as you recognise the need.
>
> Unless your needs are very simple, or your mind is very disciplined,
> you ain't going to get it right first time...and that is not a crime.
This is pretty much what I am planning to do, but I realised quite early
in the process that there are a number of decisions that can be quite
costly (time, effort) if I don't get them right from the start:

* Changing the Wiki  markup to
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Creole or
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Markdown is a decision that can only
be taken before any content is created.

* Changing the linking scheme of the Wiki to an
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AlternateNamingScheme or even to
disable CamelCaseLinks needs to be done from the start.  CamelCaseLinks
could be enabled later, but not disabled without a significant
probability of destroying existing links.

* PageStore changes such as
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PerGroupSubDirectories can be
awkward to introduce once many pages exist.  Changing where uploads are
stored as in http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/UploadPlus would be
extremely difficult to automate.

* Getting rid of Main (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GetRidOfMain)
or changing the group home page name
(http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/GroupHomePageChange) would involve
renaming pages and altering links, and may not be straightforward
depending on the size of the Wiki.  For a public Wiki this would also
destroy URLs that may have been bookmarked.

* If I introduce say
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageTableOfContents to create ToCs,
but later find that it is buggy or doesn't interact well with some
common/useful recipes, then I may need to change the markup on many
pages in order to migrate to another ToC recipe.

* The previous point is generally true for any recipe/extension that
adds markup and which graduates from the sandbox -- removing such
extensions is non-trivial, so you want to avoid installing one where a
more suitable alternative exists, suggesting a need to investigate
alternatives.

I try to keep my approach disciplined, even if my mind isn't ;)

Regards,
Trevor