[pmwiki-users] Fwd: recipe usage statistics

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Sep 6 16:57:06 CDT 2008

Bump.

The below is a proposal to alter the group header for the Cookbook
group on pmwiki.org.  The idea is to put an option at the top of every
recipe page to allow people to vote for recipes to provide a "top 10"
or "top 50" or whatever so that administrators can see what has been
useful to others.

As PM mentioned, this has been suggested before but no consensus has
been reached on what it might look like.  Hans suggested StarRater and
I think it looks really good.  I put together a demo for you to see
what it might look like at this site:

http://www.qdk.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Cookbook.RecipeA       # here
you will find a sample recipe to see what the rating system looks like
http://www.qdk.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Cookbook.Cookbook     # here
you will find the list of pages in order by rating

In place of RecipeA you can also use RecipeB or RecipeC or create your
own.  That group is wide open for now.

I think the idea has merit, but it needs some feedback and input to
get the best possible value out of it.  Thoughts?

Some questions to get us thinking:
* Should the rating be based on usage as I've done in the demo or
should it be a straight recommendation (poor, fair, good, excellent,
great)?
* Should it be in the group header or on some other page for the
actual voting process with only a display of the rating on the recipe
page itself?
* On the demo multiple votes are allowed.  On the real thing should an
additional vote be disallowed or replace the original vote from that
IP address?

-Peter

earlier email follows

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> Saturday, August 30, 2008, 3:38:52 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>> There have also been many discussions on the list about providing
>> some sort of rating or voting system for recipes, but we've never
>> come to a consensus about what such a thing might look like, so it
>> really hasn't gone anywhere.
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/StarRater
> is both good looking using the widespread five star system,
> and can allow one vote per user domain.
>
> It could be added for all Cookbook pages via GroupHeader.
>
> A top 50 or so recipe list can be gathered via pagelist.

I've put together a demo of this at
http://www.qdk.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Cookbook.RecipeA.  (I've also
got some test data in RecipeB and a RecipeC as well - feel free to
create new ones.)

I've configured it such that for testing purposes you can vote more
than once - presumably in a final version that would be limited as it
is by default with StarRater.

I've set up the labels as being a way to vote re usage but maybe it
would be better to use it as a "recommended" or not?  The recipe is
very flexible, so there's all kinds of ways we can display differently
and etc.

Anyway, please take a look and give your thoughts - I would love to
see something like this implemented on the main site so we can get an
idea of what recipes are either most recommended or most used by other
administrators.

-Peter