[pmwiki-users] Programs should be allowed to edit pages (Was: PmWiki and Spam)

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Mon Jan 14 11:39:57 CST 2008

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:

> However, I don't think captchas is a proper solution as I think it is
> _valid_ that a script/program modifies a wiki page. A simple example of
> this is when I use Emacs to edit wiki pages (pmwiki-mode)... then it's
> Emacs rather than a browser that does the change.

Use of captchas or other protection would be up to the individual site.
Sites that need to be updated by a program would have that turned off,
either while the program is running, or permanently.

Does pmwiki.org need to allow programs to edit pages? What makes sense
for the default installation? As I said in an earlier post, they don't
have to be the same, but, if they are different, the differences should
be noted.

 > Maybe what we need is editorial control over certain pages instead?
 > Or perhaps that they are saved as drafts until someone (anyone?)
 > approves the changes?

This is even less like the default behavior than a captcha; the editor
will wonder why his change wasn't accepted. (Anyone notice how few
people read Yahoo's "Your message must be moderated before it's put on
the board" message?) On the other hand, it has the benefit of catching
everything, even programs that can read captchas, and it might be easier
for the "moderators" to go through a list like that.

Sandy