[pmwiki-users] Fox forms

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 11:33:00 CST 2008

Wednesday, January 9, 2008, 5:08:42 PM, Sameer Kumar wrote:

> could you please explain the comparative notions of the new
> foxaction "replace" and the 'plugin' called 'Foxedit'?
> Are they meant for two different things or is 'Foxedit' now redundant?

They are very different.

FoxEdit provides markup for edit links and a foxedit action.
With this you could open the page for editing just specific sections,
or page text variables, using special edit forms.

I use FoxEdit in the FoxForum to provide edit links (appearing beside
delete links) for each forum post. Clicking the link will let the user
or admin edit the specific post message and subject line.

Other uses are providing edit links for section editing (what the
SectionEdit recipe does), or for editing(updating) page text variables
(PTVs).

Foxaction 'replace' is a new process for a Fox posting, in which instead
of adding new content somewhere in  a page, the new content will
replace some existing content.

One application could be  a 'Search and Replace' form.

Or for updating  a page section quickly from some other location.

Or indeed as a power page delete form.

A Fox form using 'replace' will have as result of form submission a
change of a page's content.
Whereas clicking an edit link constructed with FoxEdit markup will
open an edit form first, and submitting this will result in a page
change.

  ~Hans