[pmwiki-users] Need help for a local install of pmwiki

max pop maskiepop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:13:53 CST 2008

List,

I want to install pmWiki on my pc -- an Ubuntu 8.04. I have XAMPP installed;
and after a great deal of messing around, and pain, I manage to install
oddmuse, another wiki engine. I want to try out pmWiki because from what I
have read about pmWiki, it might be a better fit for what I have in mind

My problem with installing pmWiki is that I have very little understanding
of Linux, Apache, PHP, etc. I am, what you might call, a computer
"illiterate". If someone can help me, I'd appreciate that very much. I
realize it's not easy to help me, or anyone, under these circumstances, so
pointing me to a dummy's guide to a pmWiki install in Ubuntu/XAMPP, assuming
there is one, would be equally helpful. Alternatively, someone who had "been
there, done that", might want to send me a sample Apache2 defs for what I am
trying to do. That would be good too.

Here is my set-up:

   - XAMPP built an /opt/lampp directory that contains everything. My
   understanding is that I will have to install pmWiki in this directory
   - I untarred the pmWiki tarball to /opt/lampp/htdocs/pmwiki. All the
   pmWiki directories are in there. Permissions? With few exceptions, these are
   755.
   - All the directories inside /opt/lampp are owned by root:root, except
   for /opt/lampp/htdocs. htdocs is owned by nobody:root. My apache2 user id,
   and group id are: nobody, nogroup respectively.
   - The directories Inside /opt/lampp/htdocs/pmwiki are all owned by
   root:root. Except for the pmwiki.php. This is owned by nobody:root. The
   /opt/lampp/pmwiki directory is owned by nobody:root.

The basic Apache2 defs:

   - ServerRoot "/opt/lampp"
   - Listen 80
   - ServerName localhost
   - DocumentRoot "/opt/lampp/htdocs"

I am trying to set up the oddmuse and the pmWiki as virtual hosts. I think
this is where most of my problems problem lie. I want to be able to call the
pmWiki from the browser with this url:
http://localhost:8080/pmwiki/pmwiki.php. The oddmuse, I'd like to invoke as:
http://localhost:80/myoddmuse.

Here are the details from my Virtual Hosts defs:

   - NameVirtualHost *:80
   - NameVirtualHost *:8080

Alias /myoddmuse "/opt/lampp/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi"

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin compaqowner at dummy-host.myoddmuse.notcom
    DocumentRoot /opt/lampp/htdocs
    ServerAlias dummy-host.myoddmuse.notcom *.dummy-host.myoddmuse.notcom
    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.myoddmuse.notcom-error_log
    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.myoddmuse.notcom-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:8080>
    ServerAdmin webmaster at dummy-host2.pmwiki.notcom
    DocumentRoot /opt/lampp/htdocs/pmwiki
    ServerAlias dummy-host2.pmwiki.notcom *.dummy-host2.pmwiki.notcom
    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host2.pmwiki.notcom-error_log
    CustomLog logs/dummy-host2.pmwiki.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

My Apache2 error log is showing a number of these: *[warn] RSA server
certificate CommonName (CN) `localhost' does NOT match server name!?*

I've googled and read what the above message is all about, but that didn't
help me very much: I understood very little of what was said.

TIA