[pmwiki-users] Highlight differences in the history

Christian Ridderström christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 01:55:14 CDT 2008

Hi,

I just had an unknown user correct a spelling error on a wiki page. Since
I didn't know this user I wanted to check what he'd done in case it was
spam. When I used the history link, I couldn't really see any changes.
Then I showed the changes to the markup, in case some spam link was
hidden with the changes. Unfortunately I still couldn't see what he'd
actually changed (I've copied the output from the history to the end of
this post in case you're curious).

Because of this, I'd like to suggest that we eventually add some kind of
highlighting of the actual changes. Should I add this as a PITS entry?

(Highlighting text where markup is rendered might be difficult, but it
should be less of a problem when you show changes to the markup).

It might also make sense to show changes side by side (using a table).

regards,
/Christian

[*] Below are the two version of the texts (when viewed as changes in the
markup). You'll probably find it difficult to detect what he actually
did... I appended the answer at the end of this post:

Changed line 136 from:

* Did you know LyX supported horizontal spaces like %ert%\qquad%% and
%ert%\enskip%% as of 1.4.0? No? Probably, because they only could be
accessed via esoteric LyX functions. Now LyX comes with a Horizontal Space
dialog, which lets you chose from a range of predefined horizontal spaces,
similar to the established Vertical Space dialog. This dialog also
contains the horizontal fill which was implemented as an inset of its own
previously, and, as new features, custom horizontal space (LaTeX:
%ert%\hspace%% and %ert%\hspace*%%) as well as horizontal fills with
patterns (LaTeX: %ert%\dotfill%%, %ert%\hrulefill%%,
%ert%\rightarrowfill%%, %ert%\leftarrowfill%%, %ert%\upbracefill%% and
%ert%\downbracefill%%).

to:

* Did you know LyX supported horizontal spaces like %ert%\qquad%% and
%ert%\enskip%% as of 1.4.0? No? Probably, because they only could be
accessed via esoteric LyX functions. Now LyX comes with a Horizontal Space
dialog, which lets you choose from a range of predefined horizontal
spaces, similar to the established Vertical Space dialog. This dialog also
contains the horizontal fill which was implemented as an inset of its own
previously, and, as new features, custom horizontal space (LaTeX:
%ert%\hspace%% and %ert%\hspace*%%) as well as horizontal fills with
patterns (LaTeX: %ert%\dotfill%%, %ert%\hrulefill%%,
%ert%\rightarrowfill%%, %ert%\leftarrowfill%%, %ert%\upbracefill%% and
%ert%\downbracefill%%).

Answer: s/chose/choose/ in fourth line.

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44            http://www.md.kth.se/~chr