[pmwiki-users] www.netregistry.com.au

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Mon Oct 29 10:24:40 CDT 2007

-----

  Jamie Mckean wrote:
 > Hi Sandy
 >
 > As you already probably know NetRegistry is on of Australia's largest
webhosting and domain Registrars. We have currently been using the wiki
for the last 6 months and it is a fantastic wiki software.

 > The problem however is that our team relies heavily on the huge
amounts of data that has been inserted into the wiki to help our team
with their technical support role.

 > We are constantly deleting entries from the wiki to keep our
information up to date, however when using the search function that
comes with pmwiki all the deleted entries are still showing up.

 > I have tried your recommendation
 >
 > deleting wiki.d/.pageindex and .lastmod
 >
 > However when searching for deleted content it still shows up.
 >
 > For instance
 >
 > I created a side bar
 >
 > %sidehead% Notes
 > * [[Notes/Personal Notes]]
 >
 > In the side bar i have
 >
 > * [[Personal Notes/Geoff]]
 > * [[Personal Notes/Jane]]
 > * [[Personal Notes/Daniel]]
 > * [[Personal Notes/Karla]]
 >
 > When i delete one line i.e karla in the edit mode
 >
 > * [[Personal Notes/Geoff]]
 > * [[Personal Notes/Jane]]
 > * [[Personal Notes/Daniel]]
 >
 > and click save, the record karla is gone.
 >
 > However when i go to the search bar and type karla
 >
 > the search comes up with
 >

 > Results of search for  karla:
 >
 > PersonalNotes /
 >     karla
 >
 > still shows up
 >
 > i deleted the file
 > wiki.d/.pageindex and .lastmod
 >
 > rm: cannot remove `.lastmod': No such file or directory ( this has
already been deleted so this is a good response)
 > rm .pageindex (i assume this page is recreated everytime i do a search)
 >
 > The only way i have found to successfully delete the file is directly
on the server by going to wiki.d/PersonalNotes.Karla and deleting this file.

 > I understand that this is a floor in pm wiki's design and it will be
fixed in the next release. In the mean time is there any way around this
problem

 > Your assistance would help many people with their jobs and will be
greatly appreciated.

 > As for the advanced search function i will write up another e-mail
and forward more information to you.

Jamie,

First, you should reply to the list as a whole, not just me. That way
others can step in as well. (This email is going directly to you, and to
the list.) Also, there's a preference on this list against top-posting.
(One of the interfaces won't allow it, others prefer to see the quotes
in order. It also reduces the habit of quoting the quotes of the quotes.)

Deleting the line [[PersonalNotes/Karla]] removes the link to Karla's
page, but doesn't affect the actual page.

Try deleting the page through the wiki by the contents of the page
PersonalNotes/Karla with the word "delete"? This will delete the file in
wiki.d. Any links to the page will now be broken, but can be found with
refcount.

The only wiki-generated files you should delete directly through the OS
are the ones I listed earlier. (.pageindex and .lastmod) Even those will
automatically regenerate, but sometimes it takes a while for the
regeneration to be triggered. (I remember vague plans to be able to
trigger regeneration from within the wiki, but not what happened to
those plans.)

See here for more details:

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DeletingPages
(Just in case you changed the $DeleteKeyPattern)
and
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/RefCount

Hope this helps!

Sandy

--
Between stimulus and response there is a space.
In that space is our power to choose our response.

- Viktor E. Frankl