[pmwiki-users] Newbie Alert!!! How do I create a Public section?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 10:19:54 CDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Jeff Schallenberg <schallenberg.jeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > (just do it and see)
> >

> OK, thanks, Tegan! I did it and saw a form. I had no idea what the form
> was for. I put "@nopass" in the "Read" box, and that seems to work. And then
> I set an "Edit" password on the Site.Sidebar page. I hope that will have
> the effect of preventing the great unwashed public from editing the Sidebar
> :-)
>
> As for the cookbook, I have yet to see what it has to do with setting up
> access to my pages.
>
> CMSLike says:
> "To make PmWiki behave as a CMS, by showing only the actions the current
> user is allowed to perform."
>
> My wiki does not use user authorizations - yet. Only passwords.

If you have passwords, then a user's permissions are determined by the
password(s) that he/she has used in the current browser session.  It is NOT
necessary to have a user-based authentication system in order to set up a
cms-like wiki.  This is one reason I suggested that you might use the
cms-like recipes as guidelines, rather than taking them literally, and why I
said that I use conditional markup (
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup) to accomplish a cms-like
setup, since I almost never set up AuthUser or UserAuth, and instead stick
to the native password-based authentication system.

For example, on a page named "Pagename", you could have

(:if auth edit:)
[[Pagename?action=edit | Edit]]
(:ifend:)

That would say that if, in the current browser session, the user has already
employed a password that confers edit permission for the page Pagename, then
the user will see an "Edit" link.

You can have

(:if ! enabled AuthPw:)
[[Main/HomePage?action=login | Log in]](:if enabled
AuthPw:)[[Main/HomePage?action=logout | Log out]](:ifend:)

which says if I haven't employed a password in this session, show me a login
link, but if I have (even if it was a typo and doesn't confer any rights at
all), then show me a logout link.