[pmwiki-users] Newbie Alert!!! How do I create a Public section?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:09:13 CDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Jeff Schallenberg <schallenberg.jeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/07, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Have one group that is not read protected, perhaps Main, which is the
> > default group. All the pages you want public are placed there. All
> > other pages are not in group Main. Set the read permissions for Main
> > to "nopass," which should make that group visible to the public.
>

> Thanks for your quick response, Ben.
>
> I follow  your recommendation up to a point. But where you lose me is 'Set
> the read permissions for Main
> to "nopass,"' - where and how do I set read permissions for the Main group
> of pages? If that is covered in the docs, just point me there :-)

Start with http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords.  Maybe spend a little
more time poking around http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex

Note that with many skins, you'll need to set the read-attribute to nopass
for the Site wikigroup, too, as that will be the default source of important
pages that are common to all areas.

For the "private" section, just use one of the like-cms recipes that
> > explains how to use the PageActions page in a fashion similar to what
> > you seek.
>

> There, you've lost me completely. What is a recipe, what is like-cms, what
> is PageActions? I said I was a Newbie :-)

Site/PageActions is the page that contributes that row of "view | edit |
history | upload" etc links to your pages.

A CMS is a Content Management System, and in wiki-speak (and possibly
over-generalizing), it's a term used to distinguish a wiki like yours, which
is intended for a limited group of users, from the "typical",
public-contributions wiki -- such as wikipedia -- which most associate with
the term.

A "recipe" is a page in the "Cookbook", and can either provide an add-on or
tips and discussion of advanced use of PmWiki's built-in functionality.
Look at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook, and read the first
paragraph; follow the link to .  Return to
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook and see its Table of Contents
-- the second item on that list is "Content Management System Add-Ons" --
you may want to use the information under that topic for guidelines to your
own setup, or you may want to actually install recipes or follow detailed
instructions.

I find that you can accomplish the kinds of things that are discussed in the
CMS-like recipes just by using conditional statements to determine what's
visible to under what circumstances.  The topic of Conditional Markup is
found in the Intermediate topics section of the Documentation Index, and the
Conditional Markup page has a link to some advanced usage information in the
Cookbook as well.