[pmwiki-users] possible fix for wikiform issue

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 17:21:59 CDT 2007

On Wednesday, 17 October 2007 7:08 AM, Asociacion de Robotica <emarte at aiolosrd.com> wrote:
>Hi Jhon, thanks for replying so soon,
>
>I did no expect that many questions from you (didn't see tem coming) so I
>will give you some answers, more to come later one.
>
>>1. Am I correct that -nnnnn is unique? That is, we can't have both
>>  Issues.Pname1-00001 and Issues.Pname2-00001. It's nicer if we can
>>  use the existing "work out the next number to use" code. Or is it
>>  the combination of {$name} and number that is unique?
>

>In the Scheme I am thinking about Issues.Pname1-00001 and
>Issues.Pname2-00001 can both co-exist. Issues.Pname1-00001 and
>Issues.Pname1-00002 would be issues 1 and 2 for project 1 and
>Issues.Pname2-00001 and Issues.Pname2-00002 would be issues 1 and 2 for
>project 2. The Combination and number make them unique.

OK. I *think* I see a way to do this. Provided we always know the value
of P{$name} we can find the latest issue for that prefix and add 1 to
get the new issue number. The big design question in my mind is the
most robust way to pass {$name} to the new entry form. However, to get
started and to prove the concept, we can use:

    (:wikiform project='some value':)

or perhaps

    (:wikiform project='value1,value2,value3,...':)

My inclination is not to include the project number in the page text,
which will solve a lot of problems. We should be able to do something
with a (:title:) directive to give each page a meaningful title.

<snip>

>About this one below is what you wrote a year ago:

Haunted by past posts!

<snip>

>Imagine the following escenario:

<snip>

An excellent illustration; thank you. I now understand the big benefit
you would get from collapsing multiple groups into one.

It would also make it easier to use a ViewTemplate to control the
way each form-based page is browsed.

>I hope you can understand my point and sorry for any
>missleading english. :)

Let me see if I can come up with a simple proof of concept that
you can try. I am not sure how long this might take.

--
JR