[pmwiki-users] .SideBar content

drew drew.w at verizon.net
Fri Oct 12 19:06:37 CDT 2007

Sandy wrote:
> drew wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Am currently developing a small website that will use a horizontal menu
>> bar per SimpleTab skin. Each menu bar selection will open its our group
>> page and custom sidebar.
>>
>> I have created empty group.sidebar files but am unsure what their source
>> code must look like - is there some minimal content requirement? Can I
>> simply copy an existing site.sidebar and edit it as needed?
>>
>> Thanks for all suggestions
>>
>> -drew
>
> First, you should create and edit group.sidebar files from within the
> wiki. It's not strictly required, but it's an awful lot easier!

'from within the wiki', do you mean within its file system or is there
some sort of 'action' that allows me to 'create' the file.

> (If you really do want to create them with a text editor, look here:
> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageFileFormat
> )
>
> Yes, copying the source of an existing sidebar is the best way to start.
>   Use ?action=source to see the code.

Ok, this has worked for me nicely. A copy of site.sidebar was made,
renamed and all 'time', 'author' and 'diff' entries were deleted.

I reset 'rev' to 1 and left these specific entries for the new sidebar:

targets=FooBar.SideBar
text=FooBar

> Also, base yours on a sidebar that already looks good in the skin you
> choose. The way they separate list items and put in bullets, etc., is a
> combination of skin (html and css) and wiki code. So wiki code that
> looks good in one skin might not look good in another.

After saving the new sidebar file, I used the pmwiki page edit feature
to add more sidebar menu items. I see that the sidebar file now has a
new rev and change history entries.

> Hope this helps!
>
> Sandy

Yes it did help, Thanks.