[pmwiki-users] Rev2: A "server" for for local display pmWiki AND added Gallery.Menalto.com Photo Gallery, using pmWiki Cookbook Standalone as localhost.

Henry Gurr HenryG at aiken.sc.edu
Wed Oct 10 13:46:21 CDT 2007

*SUBJECT:*
A "server" for your computer, that will make a local display of pmWiki
AND added Gallery.Menalto.com Photo Gallery, using pmWiki Cookbook
Standalone as localhost.

*ANNOUNCE* successful use of pmWiki StandAlone Software to run
Gallery.Menalto.com Photo Gallery1 WebPages & pmWiki WebPages in my
local computer for purely local viewing, photo adding, editing changes,
etc. (in other words all the things you normally can do when pmWiki and
Gallery.Minalto are on a standard  internet server.
*************************

Dear pmWiki Users

*I want to share my experience* using pmWiki StandAlone micro-server as
a localhost server (in my own local computer) for pmWiki and
Gallery.Menalto.com:   .
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone
http://www.pmwiki.org/
http://gallery.menalto.com/

My son, David Gurr (an accomplished applied mathematician & MRI software
engineer) suggested that the pmWiki StandAlone might be a good
environment to hold & display a complete local copy of my entire Wiki
and Gallery WebSite:
http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/Main/HomePage
http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/

This auxiliary local copy "site" would be for the purposes of learning a
bit about webmastering, editing my pages without worries about breaking
my online WebSite, and then uploading the new changed/improved files en
mass to the server, using say SCP or WinSCP. (The SCP or WinSCP  might
also help with general backup/restore.)  David observed that this
StandAlone, necessarily having a php software to run pmWiki WebPages,
would have the ability to run Gallery.Menalto.com Photo Gallery
WebPages, which also need php.

He surmised that it would be *easier to convert/adapt/run this pmWiki
StandAlone, with Gallery added, than fire up localhost using say a
complete Apache Server + Standard pmWiki + Standard Gallery.Menalto.com*
It turned out that he was right. In some 14 hours, he was able to make
an overall working setup that displayed my whole site (from a downloaded
copy of it's folders). Most of this time was spent learning learning php
and the innards of pmWiki. My part was to spend several hours checking
the various "click points" in the newly running setup. It seemed that
almost everything worked correctly!! In Gallery, all the photo and
thumbs seemed to be there with all the log-on's and add new photos &
edit photo captions etc. In pmWiki all the pages seemed to be there with
all the editing & save functions. (Time does not permit an exhaustive
check of all possible functions or click points.) *So, in summary: It
works!  Very cool Patrick!! *

*Here is what we learned using our WinXP computer:*
1) David, with zero experience as a webmaster, zero experience with php
or other web script language, and less than 5 minutes of following the 4
StandAlone Install Steps (on above StandAlone link), set up a brand new
local Wiki ready for editing and adding pages. (Says something about how
excellently pmWiki is made!!)
2) Then with and much fumbling around, David was able to copy over the
files my ProfessorGurr/Main/HomePage from a professionally run webserver
and run them on my home computer.
3) With 10 hours more for learning the code of StandAlone & pmWiki, &
some hacking around, David got StandAlone code = pmwikiserv.php, to
*additionally serve my ProfessorGurr/gallery/* photopages! This included
the configuration editor and page editor!! Getting this to work
involved, for the most part, making some 30 additional code lines to the
pmwikiserv.php. Practically no changes were needed in the config.php
files for either the Gallery and the pmWiki, except for the standard
"setup" changes called for by the instructions for these applications
respectively.
4) David did NOT get Gallery's new photo upload to work yet. A new photo
upload gets about half way, and then hangs-up, saying "Waiting for
localhost." *So this needs more work. We could use some help here.*
5) Of course there maybe other serious failures present that I did not
discover in my several (available) hours of testing and trying various
functions and click-points.
6) WARNING: To be able to use the SAME saved files on either the
StandAlone or the InternetServer, you must use YES "local" URL names and
NOT "absolute" names as:
Yes =
 http://localhost/local/gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=1
 No =
http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/albums.php?set_albumListPage=1

7) Gallery.Minalto.com also has a standalone for their Gallery, but we
believe is is much more difficult to set up than the pmWiki Standalone.
8) With a bit more work beyond item 6) above, I think we can arrange my
overall server directories so that I can directly copy my sever files to
my localhost PC, or conversely. I will thus have a fully functional
standalone of my entire site on my home computer, for changes and
development.

*If you or others are interested* in using Gallery with StandAlone pmWiki:
I can send you a copy of our revised StandAlone code = pmwikiserv.php
plus a write-up summarizing the fumbling and hacking needed. Hopefully
good enough that someone who knows what they are doing can clean it up
(& solve the photo upload :-).

*Of course what is eventually needed (for the pmWiki Site?)* is an
expansion of the existing "StandAlone Set Up Page" were the existing
steps 1.2.3,4, are expanded to include a Gallery install step and a Down
Load of a new expanded StandAlone that includes Gallery capacity. I will
be glad to write out how this might look, If any one asks me to do so
for  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone

*In summary:*
1) If you were wondering about trying standalone with just pmWiki, try
it, you will like it!!
2) If you know php, adding Gallery (and even perhaps other php web
applications/services), is a do-able task (pmwikiserv.php is only 12KB
and very easy to read)
3) If you are interested or have questions, please contact me. I will
collect all the email addresses of persons who contact me, and send out
to these persons up-dates as to any developments I am aware of.
Eventually a final working version might eventually be added to
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone

Sincerely

Henry Gurr

My pmWiki profile is at: