[pmwiki-users] Outline Refinements in PMWiki

Tony C. frodo1990 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 22:33:50 CDT 2007

This recalls the problem I had with the only suggested workaround to
the problem I raised on this email list a few weeks ago.

My original problem was:

"Is there a way to get a caption on images within a simple table, or is
there a way to get tables created using table directives to fit within
a numbered list?

"For examples of my failed attempts, see the new question I just added
to the bottom of http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Images"

On that page I wrote:

"How can I put a table of captioned images within a numbered list? I
cannot use a simple table, because images cannot (apparently) have
captions within a simple table (Example 1). I cannot seem to use the
table directives, because I cannot get them to work within a list
without ending the list and causing subsequent numbering to restart
(Example 2)."

(Someone at 59.93.204.37 has since removed the examples and my question
from the Images page. They can still be seen in the History as of just
now.)

Further clarification, I want a row of images, of varying heights, with
the captions placed directly under each image (i.e. the captions will
not appear in a "row" unless the images are bottom aligned, which they
aren't), centered in the indented list body at the level of indentation
of the list. I can get the table with a row of images, I just cannot
get captions on them.

The essence of the only suggested work around was to give up (i.e. use
table directives) and start the list back up after the images with
%value=<nn>% (on each level of the list) to pick up the numbering where
it was left off.

The problem with this is, what if I don't have a clue what the numbers
are? Sure I can preview the page I'm editing, but if it's a long list I
might fix the numbering for the moment; but if I or someone else comes
along later and adds/deletes items to/from the list (above the images),
EXPECTING IT TO RENUMBER ITSELF CORRECTLY ALL THE WAY THROUGH, then
BAM, the numbering breaks (either with a gap or repeating numbers).

Just pulling the lever again hoping I hit the jackpot this time :)

Now, if there were some magic way of determining the last number used
in each level of the numbered list so the "<nn>"s could be
automatically filled in...