[pmwiki-users] Cookbook cleanup #2

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 20 16:51:40 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 05:33:43PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
>
> I'd also suggest we have a div box at the top of each Topic page
> summarizing what kinds of things should go in that section.

I don't think it needs to be a div box -- and it may not be
structured enough for that anyway.  Simple prose may be sufficient.

> Second I'd suggest over time, we also put links near the top to some
> of the pertinent documentation pages (PmWiki), as some people may be
> looking for stuff already in Core, and just don't realize it.

Agreed -- just have a section that says "Relevant core documentation"
or something like that, with links to various PmWiki pages.

> And maybe some things should be moved around.  For example,
> Cookbook.Forms should probably be in PmWiki.Forms

I think you mean Cookbook.InputForms ...?

> though there are some Tips &
> Tricks on the page that might deserve to be in the cookbook...

Agreed -- but this can just be Cookbook.FormsTipsAndTricks :-).

> There
> might also be links to special pages that compare the different
> recipes like the one comparing forms, or the one discussing various
> approaches to Hierarchical Groups.  These should perhaps be listed
> separately to indicate they help in narrowing down choices without
> giving actual solutions themselves.

Again, agreed -- we can call out particularly useful/important
recipes at the top of each page, and then provide the complete
category list beneath.

> Also, Pm, don't forget your idea about having an input form for people
> to ask questions.

I haven't forgotten this, but I have a lot of other things to set
up first.

> PS.  I would still like to see the FAQ section reworked also, where
> all the questions are listed in a table, for easy perusing, and then
> you click on one to see the answer.  [...]

So far you seem to be the only one who thinks the FAQ needs
substantial reworking.  This isn't to say I'm against it, but
just that it's really low priority at the moment.  :-)