[pmwiki-users] Major revision to ZAP (based on PVT, replace)...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Mar 12 16:52:22 CDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Ben Stallings <ben at interdependentweb.com> wrote:
> Dan wrote,
> > 2) Eliminate (:zapdata:) and require admins to use fully specified text vars
> >
> > Any comments or thoughts on this proposed change?
>
> I'm still just getting started with ZAP, but it seems to me it's very
> handy to have a simple markup that pulls a whole page's text variables
> into the local context.  Some of the forms I'll be working on for an
> upcoming project have 30 or more fields.  Since the forms will be in the
> groupheader, your change will only involve changing the variable markup
> from {$var} to {*$:var} (which is bad enough...  I'm not dyslexic, but
> I'm sympathetic to those who are).  But if I were doing the form as a
> standalone page, it would be {${$Group}.{$Name}:var} for each of 30
> variables... that is a lot of extra typing.
>
> Could the (:zapdata:) markup and associated function be spun off into a
> separate recipe?  That would ease the upgrade process for ZAP users and
> make page-text variables more usable to non-ZAP users as well.  --Ben

It's possible, but what I'm wanting to do is rewrite the way ZAP
stores data on the page and updates it.  The hidden data variables and
precise formatting used requires ZAP to do some complex data handling.
 I would like to scrap all that and use the approach Hans suggested...

Or to put it differently, if I rewrite ZAP as I'm envisioning, ZAPdata
would have to be *completely* rewritten to work as it does now.
Suppose one of us could do that...  It probably would be better as a
spinoff recipe anyway.

Thanks for the input Ben!

Cheers,
Dan