[pmwiki-users] How to show all section/category levels at the top of the page

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Mar 1 12:18:19 CST 2007

Hans wrote:
> Thursday, March 1, 2007, 2:49:33 PM, [] wrote:
>
>> 1. How do I get 'Category' to not say 'Category' but instead the name of
>> the category?

Clarifying a bit more, and going back a bit to avoid assumptions:

A page name consists of two parts, separated by a period:
GroupName.PageName.

Category is a special group. Pages in the category called Subject are
actually just pages that contain a link to the page Category.Subject.

A page can be in several categories, just add links to each page.
[[Category.SubjectA]], [[Category.SubjectB]], and so on.

There is a shorthand for links to pages in the Category group: [[!Subject]].

The page Category.Subject doesn't have to exist for the above to work.
You can click on the link to make one manually, or add (uncomment?) the
following line in config.php to have blank category pages automatically
created whenever a link to a non-existent category page is saved.  (The
page is created only if the author has edit permissions to the Category
group.)
$AutoCreate['/^Category\\./'] = array('ctime' => $Now);

There is a nice three-step process in
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Categories
under "Using Categories" that uses pagelist to list all the pages in a
Subject when you go to the page Category.Subject.

>> 2. How do I get the page heading to display all three levels?

Can't do it. I know the pmwiki.org page on Categories talks about
Category Nesting, but none of the nesting actually affects the two-level
hierarchy. It's just that the Category.SubjectA page contains a link to
(and is therefore a member of) Category.SubjectB.

I wonder how hard it would be for one of the programmers to make a
variation on (:pagelist:) to so that one could print out all the
categories in a nice tree?

Although, there have been a couple of recipes about hierarchical groups
in the last few weeks, from some of the more experienced programmers, so
it might be worth checking them out.

Cheers!

Sandy