[pmwiki-users] neverending registration question

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Jun 7 19:57:32 CDT 2007

Marguerite Floyd wrote:
> WHERE can I find the recipe or option that displays a registration
> form?  You've been great about showing me how to set passwords and
> display login boxes, but WHERE is the page I can link to that requires
> the user to put in their name???  It's not much use to display a box
> asking for a password when there's no display anywhere asking for a
> user name to begin with.
>
> When you register with sites there's a page where you have to put in
> your name, userid, chosen password, etc.  Where in pmwiki.org can I
> find this page OR if there is no page like that, where's a recipe or
> code to connect up a designed page with the pmwiki system?
>
> Thanks!

I can see how you'd be frustrated. So close,...

First of all, the core does not support user self-registration. It's
often requested, and there are some recipes, but it's not in the core
... yet. (I suspect Pm's work on forms will eventually lead to this, as
well as other nifty things.)

Second, the default installation does not support user names. All access
is by password, and it's on the honour system that people sign their
changes. Under that system, registration consists of sharing a password,
so self-registration is over-kill.

The core has AuthUser, which adds the usual name/password pair, and user
groups. I tried logging in to your site. (I like the layout!) It asks
for a password but not a user name. This means that you have not
activated AuthUser. It still does not have self-registration.

The Crisses have just written a how-to for the basic AuthUser, where the
database is maintained by the wiki in Site.AuthUser .
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/QuickStartForAuthUser
Yes, the procedure seems rather round-about, having to set temporary
access to set the permanent access, but that's the way it works at the
moment.

Warning: I don't know how the other user registration and authentication
recipes work, but I do know some of them don't coexist nicely with
AuthUser, especially the ones which were originally written before AuthUser.

Anticipating your next question, How do I ensure people sign their
contributions honestly?
After the line in config.php that turns on AuthUser, add the following:
$Author = $AuthId;

htpasswordform requires that you use .htpasswd and .htgroup files for
storing the passwords, and add a line to Site.AuthUser to tell it to get
the info from .htpasswd and .htgroup. There may be more to it -- I
haven't done it myself but others have.
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/AuthUser

Hope this helps,

Sandy