[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Automatically add anchors to heading tags?

George De Bruin gdb at soundchasers.com
Sun Jul 29 23:36:11 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: George De Bruin <sndchaser at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 29, 2007 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Automatically add anchors to heading tags?
To: "christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com" <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com>
Cc: "H. Fox" <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net>, pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com

Actually, I think most of this issue was eliminated when the suggestion to
generate anchors based on abbreviations of the headings came into play.  If
you generate the headings using abbreviations, the following edits wirtll
not change the anchors in most cases:

- correcting typos
- correcting mis-spellings
- correcting case
- correcting punctuation

The only edits that would affect the anchors are:

- adding words
- removing words
- inserting a new heading that has the same abbreviation as another heading
- removing a heading that has the same abbreviation as another heading.

IMO - by eliminating the first four as problems, the overall process becomes
far more workable / useful.  The second four are much lower on the
poosibility table.

However, I do still see an issue with "special" characters and i18n support
-- anyone care to address this?  (IE, what if a "special" character is a
normal character in the authors native language, an it appears as the first
character of a word?  Could this trip up strtolower()? etc.)

On 7/29/07, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, H. Fox wrote:
>
> > On 7/22/07, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
> > <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com > wrote:
> >>
> >>  If we worry that an
> >>  enumerated heading becomes incorrect if a heading is inserted before
> it,
> >>  remember that a similar thing happens if you change the heading text.
> >
> > No it doesn't.  If the section's anchor is determined by heading text it
> > will not be affected by inserting other headings.
>
> My apologies if this is too late, i've just now figured out how to access
> my mail in a sensible fashion from my place of vacation.
>
> Please read me sentence again. If you change the heading text, the anchor
> lable will change. A changed anchor label is a problem that is similar to
> what you would have if anchor labels were determined from their number,
> i.e. if this is heading one, two, three etc. In this case, inserting a new
> heading means that the old label of say "toc3" will refer to the wrong
> entry.
>
> The point is really that neither system is very good.
>
> /Christian
>

> --
> Christian Ridderström, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr

---
Faster moments spent spread tales of change within the sound...

--
---
Faster moments spent spread tales of change within the sound...