[pmwiki-users] Announce: Slender, pmwiki-based wiki making a fresh start

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:37:35 CST 2007

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> "Text indented with spaces no longer generates preformatted text.": I've
> already remarked that it will be easy to disable this sometime in
> 2.2.0-beta, I just haven't had a chance to implement it yet.  I'm not
> entirely against having leading-spaces-preformat disabled by default
> (instead of enabled as it is now), such that it's a local customization
> option, but my reading of past discussions on this topic has been that
> there are roughly equal numbers of people on either side of the issue.

FWIW, I think it should probably be disabled by default (although the
migration will be a bit of a bother).

It's also good to know that today it's already possible to do:

 	>>white-space=pre%
 	Pre -formatted    text
 	>><<

if the 'leading-space-causes-preformat' is removed.

> Beyond that, being somewhat consistent with other markup systems is
> probably a good idea, and I don't know of any markups that do headings
> along the lines of the proposed !> (heading indent) and <! (heading
> outdent) syntax.  I think many authors would think the end result looks
> pretty weird.  For example, consider the following markup:
>
>    ! heading 1
>    !> heading 2
>    ! heading 3
>    ! heading 4
>
> In looking at this it's not at all obvious to me that heading 3
> and heading 4 are at the same level as heading 2 (not heading 1).
> Also, once I'm nested two or three levels in, how do I get back
> to the top level in one jump?

Hmm... I have to agree that I thought the heading levels would be:

 	1. Heading 1
 	1.1. Heading 2
 	2. Heading 3
 	3. Heading 4.

But I really like the idea of being able to do a relative heading...
Perhaps it'd be better with a separate directive for changing/setting
heading depth, i.e.

 	! heading 1
 	(:heading-depth +1:)
 	! heading 2
 	! heading 3
 	! heading 4

This would work well with:

 	! Some heading

 	(:heading-depth +1:)(:include SomePage:)(:heading-depth =0:)

 	! Another heading

best regards
/Christian