[pmwiki-users] Page List Degrades Performance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 07:41:43 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 07:25:32PM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Our wiki main wiki is slowly growing still a baby by most standards:
> just 1000 files or so in about 30 different groups.
>
> But even with so few files, the following pagelists
> option pull down navigation menus in Site.SideBar are
> are seriously degrading performance, ...
> if I remove them the site "snaps back"
> to zippy.. fairly zippy (using Fix Flow Skin)

This is why I've generally been opposed to trying to do too
many things with (:pagelist:) -- it can get slow.
This is especially true for trying to create things
such as dynamic trails, navigation menus, etc.

> Any optimization suggestions?

Have you tried setting $EnablePageListProtect = 0;
to see if that improves things?

Also, any time you can use a trail as a source of pages,
things go _much_ faster because PmWiki doesn't have to
search the wiki.d/ directory for candidate pages.
So, instead of

> (:pagelist group=Team name=-RecentChanges fmt="#selectlistpages":)

use

  (:pagelist trail=Team.RecentChanges group=Team
      name=-RecentChanges order=name fmt="#selectlistpages":)

Lastly, you might note that

> (:input form:)
> (:select+ team:)
> (:option :)Go Team
> (:pagelist group=Team name=-RecentChanges fmt="#selectlistpages":)
> (:selectend:)
> (:input end:)

produces invalid HTML, as this will have a <div> elements
embedded within a <select>...</select> element.