[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Martin Spindler spindler at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Aug 14 03:31:41 CDT 2007

Hi,

Christophe David wrote:
> I wonder how to define the dependencies adequately, as there are so
> many things that can impact a page...  In particular,
> PageTextVariables changes seem to be extremely difficult to track
> efficiently...

Yes. That's why deleting *all* cached pages after an edit/new action
should do the trick.
My suggestions/wishlist was merely motivated by a certain kind of usage
case, which is:

* one author (very infrequent updates)
* many readers (frequent reads)

This allows the deletion of the whole cache every time *something* has
changed. It's probably best, just to forget everything I said about
dependencies, because this will only introduce complexity.
> Do you have some kind of measures that show the actual benefit of
> using mod-rewrite against letting the built-in PmWiki caching do its
> job ?

As I am not the author/ initiator of the aggressive static cache idea, I
am not able to give you any information about how it works.
> Is the gain really worth the extra complexity ?

There is no extra complexity, when you just delete *every* cached page
after an edit/delete action was executed. Nevertheless, in some cases it
might be helpful to delete cached pages of *one* group only (for example).

Martin.