[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Christophe David pmwiki at christophedavid.org
Tue Aug 14 03:14:10 CDT 2007

> > Unless all cache files are deleted somehow every time there is a change ?
> Yes. This is exactly what I would like to have. Ideally, one could
> define the cached page and group names (via regexpr) that are to be
> deleted when an edit/new action is invoked on a particular page.  That
> way one could easily define some sort of dependency. Of course, just
> deleting all cached pages would do it, too.

I wonder how to define the dependencies adequately, as there are so
many things that can impact a page...  In particular,
PageTextVariables changes seem to be extremely difficult to track
efficiently...

A workaround could be to use mod-rewrite only as a second-level cache
that systematically expires every hour or so.  This way a frequently
requested page would only start PmWiki once every hour, possibly
retrieving it very fast from the PmWiki cache.  And any change would
be apparent to users at least one hour after being made.

But all this can only be used when the pages are maintained by a very
limited number of persons who understand how the caching is
implemented...  "Standard" wiki users expect their changes to be
visible immediately, and would not like not being able to see the
effect of their changes.  Nor would the regular authors, so the
mechanism should be switched off while editing...

Do you have some kind of measures that show the actual benefit of
using mod-rewrite against letting the built-in PmWiki caching do its
job ?

Is the gain really worth the extra complexity ?

Christophe