[pmwiki-users] Adding something like '?action=version'? (Was: Version of Pmwiki)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 07:47:44 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:44:56AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> We could add a dedicated page to the PmWiki/-pages that says what version
> is running, e.g. the page
>
> 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Version
>
> which I just created to illustrate this.

Hmm, this is an interesting idea.

> Another alternative is to have a special action that returns the version,
> possibly with other information. It'd be similar to 'action=diag', but
> with less information (and enabled by default).

One reason why PmWiki hasn't provided something like this by
default is that some administrators would prefer that PmWiki
version information not be easily available to others (especially
malicious programs).

So, if we did have an ?action=version or similar, I think it would
need to default to 'edit' permissions at a minimum.

I'm also not sure that having ?action=version solves the problem...
is an administrator likely to stumble upon ?action=version without
having to consult the docs or ask the mailing list?

This is why having a PmWiki.Version page might be a good approach --
someone doing a search for "version" could find this page relatively
quickly (especially if/when we start ranking search results).

Another approach might be for me to maintain version information
in the README.txt file or add a docs/VERSION.txt... but I don't know
that admins are any more likely to look there for the information.

Which means we can now turn the question back around to Mark...
where were you hoping to find version information before you
decided to ask the mailing list?