[pmwiki-users] UTF-8 in page names?

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Fri Sep 29 01:06:50 CDT 2006

Note: message encoded as UTF-8

Hello,

Are there some special instructions for to PmWiki be able to link and process
pages with names in UTF-8?

I have these settings in config.php:
   include_once('scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php');
   XLPage('fr','Site.XLPage');

In 'Site.XLPage' there is a line :'xlpage-i18n' => 'utf-8',

The http headers and the page encoding are UTF-8, but when I have links:
[[Idées]], [[Петко]] (Petko in Cyrillic), the links don't work as intended:

* "Idées" is wrongly encoded as "Id%c3Es" instead of "Id%c3%a9es",
* "Петко" is wrongly encoded as "%d0%d0%b5%d1%d0%d0" instead
of "%d0%9f%d0%b5%d1%82%d0%ba%d0%be";

Those are wrong encoded strings, even clicking on the last one displays an
error page "PmWiki can't process your request ?invalid page name".

Moreover, if I write myself in the browser
http://localhost/wiki/Group/%d0%9f%d0%b5%d1%82%d0%ba%d0%be it cannot decode
the name back to "Петко" and displays

   The page "" doesn't exist. (Create Group.���)

(No page name or broken page name.)

What is weird, is that some days ago the UTF-8 pagenames did work (lastmod
pagestamp Sept. 23, last week, same version 2.1.26). I did some tests with
cookbook recipes, and it stopped working. Existing pages do display in
pagelists (with correct pagenames in link text, i.e. * Group.Петко), but
their links are as for "inexisting page" and do not open them[1]. To recover
the pages, I had to rename them to ASCII characters and erase .pageindex, but
would like to return to the previous possibility.

Then I installed a clean, new PmWiki 2.1.26, with only the above change in
config.php. Then I installed the clean latest Beta6, again not working.

My PHP is 5.1.1 with mbstring (and didn't change) and the pages are on a
filesystem fat32, mounted with "utf8" option in /etc/fstab. I can see the
filenames with cyrillic characters in my file manager, and the PageList can
see them also (as it displays correctly the name in the link text) but cannot
link properly to them.[1]

How is configured the http://pmwiki.org/wiki/UTF8/UTF8 group? Because there it
seems to work fine there.

Thank you for your attention.
Petko

[1] The html in the pagelist is:
<a class='createlinktext'

and *should be* :
<a class='wikilink'
href="[...]/Group/%d0%9f%d0%b5%d1%82%d0%ba%d0%be">Group.Петко</a>

That is, the filename (pagename) is read OK and the link text "Group.Петко" is
OK, but the URI is bad.