[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Fri Sep 22 11:40:26 CDT 2006

Pm wrote regarding form focus:
> Hmm.  I don't think that tabindex on its own sets the input focus,
> I think it just defines the sequence in which the cursor moves
> from the current focus.  But we might be able to use tabindex as
> the syntax for input forms and have the JavaScript use the
> tabindex values to decide which field gets the initial focus.

I'd like to humbly bring attention to http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00794
where I proposed automatic tabindexing of form elements, as I've done in
the UpdateForm recipe.  I believe this is an analogous situation to an
ordered list: HTML allows us to mark each item simply as a list item,
without requiring us to keep track of which number item it is, and the
numbering is done automatically for us. So it should be with tabindexes,
because setting them manually is a pain, especially for very long forms.

Obviously this is not the same as putting the cursor into the first form
field; that requires JavaScript, and more often than not JavaScript
annoys blind people who use screenreaders.  But automatic tabindexing
does allow anyone, blind or otherwise, to hop to the first form field by
pressing tab once.  So for what it's worth, I personally would rather
see automatic tabindexing than setting the input focus.

and regarding "virtual pages":
> I'm thinking of this primarily for categories and profile pages,
> where links are often generated to them without actually creating
> the target page.

Rather than (or in addition to) a single virtual page feature for the
whole site, I'd like to be able to specify the virtual page format per
group.  For example, on many of my sites I'd like the Profile pages to
default to
mailform:{$Name}
Is it possible to have virtual pages defined on a per-group basis?  --Ben