[pmwiki-users] MD5 checksums or version control (was: Re: Avoiding simultaneous edits)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Sep 20 12:12:25 CDT 2006

At 2006-09-20  11:42 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:31:47PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> > At 2006-09-20  11:06 AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
> > >Is this running on a Windows platform?  You may need to install
> > >the recipe at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SimultaneousEdits
> > >to enable merging since diff3 isn't present.
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > Would it be possible to include some version control info inside
> > cookbook items such as phpmerge.php?
>
>Is the purpose simply to see if an installed version matches
>the latest version on pmwiki.org ?

In this case, yes. But a date-based version number gives a rough idea
of recipe "freshness" and lets me compare it to the PmWiki release date.

>I'm thinking about adding such a capability to the PmWiki.SiteAnalyzer
>tool -- i.e., one can run the site analyzer and it will report back
>on any out-of-date Cookbook recipes.  Of course, this wouldn't
>help much for sites behind a firewall, as the site analyzer can't
>reach them.

This sounds like an excellent idea, and it should work for most of my
sites, because the wikifarm scripts are publicly accessible although
many of the other wikis are not.

>Another possibility would be to finally develop the recipe that
>can be installed on a site locally to check for up-to-date recipes.
>It would query pmwiki.org for the list of recipe date/time/md5's,
>and compare that to whatever is installed locally.

Yet another good idea. Could this be tied into the "diag" functions?

>And, perhaps we really need the extended Attach: markup, so
>that someone can do something like:
>
>     Attach:foo.txt"%md5"
>
>to display an attachment's md5 hash.  Then we could have it as
>an option to (:attachlist:) to get a list of all of the md5 checksums
>for all of the attachments.

Oh and please something like:

         Attach:foo.txt"%md5","size"

>SOOOO many cool projects, so little time.  :-|

So few who know PHP  :-(

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/