[pmwiki-users] Simple markup question...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 20 11:45:10 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:38:02PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> Oops meant to send this to the list...
>
> On 9/20/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > In other words, you want to replace {$FieldName} by its contents
> > but not process any other markup that comes in as a result.
>
> exactly
>
> > PmWiki doesn't have anything like that built-in, you'll have to
> > have some custom code to do it.  Which means that you either need
> > a custom markup that means "replace page variables but Keep() the
> > results", or a custom page variables that return text as escaped
> > values using Keep().
>
> I prefer the first option.  The second one won't work really for other reasons.
>
> I  tried using the [= =] rule as a basis for a keep rule, and changed
> the timing of it.

Well, that's counter-intuitive to what authors expect, or at
least what we tell them.

We tell authors that [=...=] and [@...@] always preserve their contents
from any markup processing.  Thus, if an author writes [={$var}=],
then she has an absolute right to expect that she will see "{$var}"
(i.e., curly-dollar-v-a-r-curly) in the output and not the contents of
some page variable.