[pmwiki-users] www makes it forget password

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Mon Sep 18 19:25:52 CDT 2006

On Monday 18 September 2006 16:02, JB wrote:
> I type in the browser url box:
>
>     http://aplace.org/abc/?action=edit
>
> I click edit, PMWiki asks for my password
> I get to the editor.  Whenever I return to the url
> can go directly to the editor. It remembers my password.
>
> When I change the url by just adding "www" in front:
>
>     http://www.aplace.org/abc/?action=edit
>
> It asks for my password again.  It is the same
> website.  Why does it ask for my password again?

Because as far as a browser is concerned, www.site.com and site.com are two
totally different servers, and therefore could be two totally different
sites.  If cookies are being used, it sounds like the cookie is being set on
the absolute domain, and not on .aplace.org (note leading period).

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111