[pmwiki-users] moving skins out of public accessa

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 13 15:49:55 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:11:34PM -0500, JB wrote:
> > To be honest, I haven't quite figured out *why* you're
> > trying to get the skin out of pub/ .
>
> I am trying to do this because *you* said:
>
> > For convenience we put the skin .tmpl files into pub/, but it's
> > not absolutely necessary and it's not normally any sort of
> > threat.
>
> It is my humble opinion that if they do not need to have access
> to it then they should not.

Fair enough.  But it's far simpler from a maintenance and
distribution perspective if all of a skin's files are grouped
together in a single directory than if they're spread across
multiple directories.   (Imagine how much more difficult it
would be to distribute and install skins from the cookbook
if it required getting files into the appropriate directories.)

This is a case where (to me) wiki-administrator and skin-designer
convenience far outweigh the negligible improvement obtained
from trying to make .tmpl inaccessible to the webserver.

Of course, if there are a lot of people who are worried about
keeping the contents of .tmpl a secret, we can re-think this
approach.