[pmwiki-users] It can't be that slow.....can it?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Sep 3 16:40:38 CDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 10:30:55PM +0100, rolf deenen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently i installed pmwiki on my trusty home server. It's an old
> Pentium 233 compaq PC, loaded with trustix 2.2. This means: Apache 2.0
> and php 5.0.5 . After installing it I was going through the supplied
> documentation and i noticed it was really slow. I clocked the time
> between clicking the "PmWiki FAQ" and it being actually displayed and
> it took about 10 - 11 seconds .

The PmWiki FAQ is a slow page, especially when first installed,
because it has to scan a lot of pages to find out which items
belong in the FAQ.  Once PmWiki has built its index, it should
speed up a bit.  (Try reloading the FAQ page a few times and see
if it gets faster.)

That said, a 233MHz machine is going to be pretty slow.  How much
memory is on the system, and how much is PHP being given?

> PS. I have run more applications on my server (for example: wordpress,
> jaws, dokuwiki, cowiki) and all had acceptable speed. The hardware
> should be sufficient.

In general, PmWiki tends to emphasize flexibility and dynamic
capabilities over speed (while trying to not let speed get too
far out of hand).  But those dynamic capabilities don't come for
free, unfortunately -- it does mean that there are fewer opportunities
to optimize things.