[pmwiki-users] Rethinking passwords and authorization

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 18 11:07:26 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:30:10AM -0400, Ryan R. Varick wrote:
> I had to think about this before I saw the problem, but I agree that
> it could introduce problems.  My suggestion would be to craft the UI
> such that it makes expectations explicit.  I think Neil's idea has
> potential.  Personally, I find the whole thing confusing and would
> prefer to do away with prefixes altogether.  Boxes for each "level"
> have several advantages:
>
> 1) Easily programmable - one box for non-AuthUser installations, three
> for AuthUser-enabled sites.
>
> 2) Clear(er) UI - Authors no longer have to learn a syntax (simple
> though it may appear) along with the PmWiki authentication system. [...]
>
> 3) Parsing - Input is already neatly sorted into separate form fields.
> Frontent prefixes aren't needed, nor are quotes.  Commas are
> sufficient to separate individual entries.
>
> Overall, it seems like a good approach to me.  What are the downsides?

1.  How would someone in a non-AuthUser installation enter things like
    '@nopass', '@lock', and '@_site_edit' (which are currently treated
    as pseudo-groups)?

2.  This adds a lot of complexity to the UI and to the internal
    authorization code, since it would have to validate and evaluate
    three separate attributes per authorization level instead of one
    per authorization level as it does now.  A significant amount of
    code refactoring would probably need to be done.

3.  Even if we have separate boxes on ?action=attr, we still need
    a syntax or mechanism to be able to specify group memberships
    in the Site.AuthUser page, where we don't really have the luxury
    of a special UI.

Pm