[pmwiki-users] stable article versions

Florian Fischer Flori-Fischer at gmx.net
Wed Oct 18 09:55:15 CDT 2006

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:46:10 -0400
Von: Stirling Westrup <sti at pooq.com>
An: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
Betreff: Re: stable article versions

> Florian Fischer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i´m using pmwiki for developing some kind of encyclopedia. Since it
> > is used for a university we will have to establish some kind of
> > quality-management. We are planning to introduce some kind of stable
> > article versions. I know this can be easiliy done by setting an edit
> > password. It would be great ot offer a user the opportunity to
> > propose changes of an edit protected page without affecting the
> > article itself. Only if the admin prooves this article the originally
> > edit protected article can be changed. Does anybody have an idea of
> > how to establish such a system?
> >
> There is a (currently) little-documented feature in PmWiki called Drafts
> which allows for this. You must set $EnableDrafts=1; in your
> local/config.php page to activate the feature. From then on the page
> editing controls grow some extra buttons so that a draft version of a
> page can be saved (with a distinguished name -- usually by adding
> '-Draft' to the end of the page name, but its configurable), further
> edited and later published with a 'publish' button that updates the
> official version of the page.
>
> It should, in principal, be easy to add some lines to the config.php
> file which modifies the look of the buttons and what authorization
> conditions they appear under. The intent would be that users with normal
> edit privileges would only have access to the buttons that create new
> draft versions of pages, and that the moderators would be informed
> whenever that happened. The moderators would have access to the
> 'Publish' buttons and could turn a draft into a final article.
>
> The reason this is currently (mostly) undocumented is that we're still
> debating the exact wording on the buttons under different conditions,
> what the various use-cases for the Drafts feature would be, and what the
> most common configurations are likely to be.
>
> As far as I know, no one is yet using the Drafts feature in the way
> described above, so you would be breaking new ground if you went this
> way, but there would be active assistance from the list in getting it
> working. I, for one, volunteer to help out if needed, as I have plans
> for implementing a couple of administrative websites of my own that
> could make good use of this.

Hello,

having implemented "drafts" i´ve ran into some smaller problems.
- drafts don´t work with sectionedit.
- when a draft is "published" by a publisher, the Author is changed to the Publisher
- After publishing a draft, one gets back to the non-existing draft, it would be better to redirect to the published version.

How could i solve these problems?

Florian