[pmwiki-users] automatically adding users to groups

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Oct 10 05:33:31 CDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:10 AM, elton.p.lester at transport.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have the following control structure on my wiki
>
>      site level edit password  - set as a groupName#1

this could be id:* -- that would be an assumption that ANY logged in
user belongs to "group1"

>           group level passwords for some groups - set as groupName#2
>                page level passwords OR '@nopass' for some pages -
> set as
> groupName#3 or '@nopass'

@nopass is not a group -- Are you looking to have a group that
requires login, or is this an non-logged-in function?

> I have AuthUser running from the Site.AuthUser page at the moment
> but want
> to move to a slightly more user friendly (and safer) interface as the
> number of people using the wiki is increasing and the audience is
> starting
> to include those who are 'not so confident around computers'.

> What can I use to do the following:
>
>    allow user to create (and preferable manage) their own account
>    automatically add users to groupName#1 so they can instantly start
>    creating/updating content

If you do "id:*" then any logged-in user would be counted.

I think FASTMembership handles user create/manage their own
accounts.  I know that XESAuthUserDBase does this, but that requires
mysql (soon to be database-agnostic).

>    enable admin to manage groups and users without having to fiddle
> with
>    .htpasswd or config files or the Site.AuthUser page directly?

Too many ways to do this.  I think FASTMembership may be ready for
this.  Ask Caveman or look at the Cookbook for the recipe.

My XESAuthUserDBase does not YET do this, but it will soon.  Just not
this week ;)  By the time it does, it will probably be merged back
into AuthUserDBase, as well.

Crisses