[pmwiki-users] Request input on soon-coming FAST Data release

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 17:36:59 CDT 2006

--- Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> > Could someone perhaps find a more definitive
> answer for this
> > question?  My task list is a bit full at the
> moment... :-|
>
> Sorry, my task list is overstuffed, too.
> Actually I avoid by-reference arguments anyway. They
> tend to create all
> kinds of aliasing bugs, and that can get very, very
> messy and very, very
> quickly.
>
> A quick check whether arrays are copied on write
> would be a loop with
> something like this:
>    $a = array ($a, $a);
> This creates two copies of $a on every step; if
> arrays are copied,
> memory usage should double at each step and hit the
> 8MB RAM limit very
> quickly, if they are copied on write, it should not
> be able to fill memory.

Usage will double -> not the question you are trying
to answer.  You are trying to find out if when passed
by reference (i.e not copied explictly like this
example does) are they still somehow copied?  Seems
odd, but I also seem to recall claims that by
reference is actually worse in PHP, I'll see if I can
find a reference somewhere.

-Martin