[pmwiki-users] Mailling list Reply-To:

Nils Knappmeier nk at knappi.org
Wed Oct 4 06:05:10 CDT 2006

> Ha. _People_ are too stupid/lazy/whatever to set up a news client
> correctly these days, you won't find many being able to set up a Fido
> client correctly (SCNR). I stopped my Fido node many years ago...

I have a nice quote from Douglas Adams here:

    We're stuck with Technology when what we really want is
    just stuff that works. How do you recognize something that
    is still technology? A good clue is if it comes with a manual.

/    Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt, page 115

In the past, I spent hours configuring my computer just for fun.
Now, I like things if they work. What's the point in spending
more time setting up things, that you actually save by using
them.

Hope I'm not starting a flame now, but I can understand if people
are to lazy to set up a news client. Especially non-CS people, who
spent their time in front of a computer because they have to and
not because they like to. As for "stupid"... Well, things just change.
I don't like phpBB, but everybody is using it now. People get
used to it. Many people have _never_ set up a news client before.
How should they be able to do it, if noone told them how it
works. Not everyone has the will or the energy to spent hours
trying to figure these things out by him-/herself.

Nils
/