[pmwiki-users] Find out password for one page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 2 15:03:48 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:36:37PM +0200, Mike wrote:
> It would already be helpful if either
> * there way a way in AuthUser to see at least the users who have certain
> rights on certain pages,

I'm working on this with the AuthList capability (described earlier)

> * the whole password mechanism moved from action=attr to some
> administrator-only config file.

This works directly against one of PmWiki's core goals, which is to
make it possible for authors to set up access control to pages without
having to go through the administrator.

For example, one wiki that I maintain has 1000+ student and teacher
authors, each with their own wikigroup.  Each author needs the
ability to selectively password protect his/her entire group or
individual pages within the group.  If we move this to an
administrator-only function, it would be a nightmare for the
poor administrator (i.e., me) to maintain.

> Similarly to how we can set default
> passwords in the config.php, maybe we can also set passwords for
> page/group/site (differentiated by read/edit/upload/attr)?

If an administrator wants to prevent authors from setting passwords
on pages, it can be done with:

    $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = '@lock';

Then only the administrator can set or change passwords, except
for pages that have a different 'attr' password already set.

> Where is the whole password stuff stored anyway?

The per-page and per-group passwords are stored along with
the pages in each individual or GroupAttributes page file.

Being able to configure per-page and per-group passwords from
config.php has some interesting possibilities, however.  Then
an administrator that doesn't want authors to set passwords could
lock ?action=attr as described above, and maintain everything
through config.php (or possibly Site.AuthUser).

Question:  if we did this and if a password is set for a page in
both config.php and its corresponding page, which one should
be used?