[pmwiki-users] unblock help

Simon s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 8 20:55:28 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 04:36:56PM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
>
>> On 11/8/06, Simon <s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if it would be worth considering an unblock whitelist, or a
>>> more granular unblock list.
>>> It is possibly a bit strong to obviate the entire rule.
>>>
>> I would agree, this is one reason I'm actually still using
>> cmsb-blocklist.  The other is the Blocklog.  The ability to unblock
>> bits of a block rule and the ability to log blocks (so that you can
>> see what's been blocked) are very useful tools.
>>

> How exactly does one unblock "bits of a block rule"?  I mean,
> how can that work?
>
> Pm

Well yes that is a good question, an initial thought is that each rule
extracts and saves the text that matches the rule
(in normal circumstances this doesn't happen).
these text extracts are then compared against a "whitelist" eg

white: musica
It would seem that for this to work the white text and extract text
would have to match exactly.
If all extracts on a page are "overridden" by white text the page could
be posted.

Another idea, more related to the problem I had (which was that I
genuine URL I wanted to put in a page was being rejected by a block),
is that URLs should be extracted and treated separately from text in a
page, perhaps checked against the blocks only after being checked
against  a whitelist of urls.

cheers, and thanks again

Simon