[pmwiki-users] HTTP Authentication and use of login name

Hartl, Bob hartl.r at ghc.org
Mon May 22 14:41:22 CDT 2006

Patrick,

The httpauth.php script works nicely, thanks.  I would however like to
display the "author name" not login name in the AUTHOR field.  Is this
possible when using HTTP authentication in PmWiki?  Two approaches seem
possible to me.

1) I've used this statement in my config.php:
if (@$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) $Author = $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'];
...but this of course uses the login name not author name.

Is it possible to grab a "display name" variable -- or "first name" and
"last name" variables -- instead of the REMOTE_USER variable?  Is there
such a server variable(s) to grab?

2) Would the storedauthname.php script work with "http authentication?"
>From the documentation it appears that it's meant to work specifically
with "AuthUser"

What's my best approach?  I don't mind doing a 'little' custom
programming -- although I'm a ASP/VBScript (not PHP) guy.

Would a possible approach be to use LDAP to grab the display name (i.e.
author name) from the login name?  I can't however do an anonymous bind
to my LDAP server -- but I have credentials with which to make a
non-anonymous request.

Thanks
Bob Hartl