[pmwiki-users] Help needed to debug a pmwiki issue (unable to save long wiki pages)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Fri May 19 04:30:25 CDT 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Ivan Teliatnikov wrote:

> Christian
>
> I got two links from a guy who came across this problem:
>
> Do you need anything else? Debugging enabled for PHP/Apache, please let
> me know and I will do on your first request. I would appreciate if you
> mention what config variable to change, I am not an expert in PHP.
>
> He wrote:
>
> Two example pages, actually you should be able to link to them.
>
> This one seems a simple case of the entire page being to long. Strange
> that it worked in our earlier pmwiki version.
> http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=GPlatesGMLDev.CategorisingFeatures
>
> this one seemed somehow related to the  line length in a list element,
> perhaps
> http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=GPlatesGML.TheMadnessOfJamesCWGPMLisochron
>
> as you can see, I trimmed it enough that it could save, then attempted
> to increase it back to whatever limit might have been there. You are
> free to revert this page to whatever time they like in
> experimentation

Hi Ivan

Would you mind including the relevant parts of the previous post the next
time? (and ideally write your reply below it like I do now - otherwise I
get so confused since I browse through > 100 mails per day...)

It seems I can tentatively confirm your problem. Nothing seems to
happen when I press the save button - I'm just shown the edit page
once more. Preview works however. This is not consistent with any of the
two cases I thought, but probably something else.

Here's my syggestion.

First create a separate test page(s) for debugging this problem. So the
first step for you is to create some page (Test.Test perhaps) where you
recreate this problem. Then give me the link and I'll verify that I also
see it. You can write explicit instructions for how to recreate the
problem on the test page itself.

Secondly, enable debugging by adding
 	$EnableDiag=1;
to your configuration file. This allows to get diagnostic information from
PmWiki. But I think Patrick (the author of PmWiki) will have to look at
this thing to make any sense of it.

Thirdly, check if you can take the identical copy of a problematic page
and use it to create a test page at pmwiki.org.

regards
/Christian