[pmwiki-users] Why doesn't this installation sequence work?

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Mar 21 14:31:29 CST 2006

At 2006-03-21  08:56 PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
rumored to have said:
> > If you stop after the first iteration of step 4, you have the famous
> > ridderstrom-1-wiki-farm.   ;-)
>
>I don't think so... :-)
>
>Won't the .htaccess deny access to the farm's public directory?  Hmm... or
>is there some way to get the .htaccess to only deny access to pmwiki.php?
>(I don't know how).

The short answer is no to the first question and yes to the second.
The long answer is ...

I actually don't use .htaccess, I put the directives into the Apache
configuration file. If you do not have full control of the server,
this is an unlikely option. *But* the .htaccess options are identical
- just in a different place.

<gratuitous aside>
I have a website farm -  a collection of many websites all running on
the same server on different virtual hosts.
The Apache conf file is equivalent to farmconfig.
An .htaccess file would be equivalent to a local config.
</gratuitous aside>

It's no secret that my home wiki with no pages is here:
http://all.eton.ca/pmwiki/

and my farmconfig.php says this:
$FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://all.eton.ca/pmwiki/pub'

but you can't get to:
http://all.eton.ca/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

because the Apache config file says this:

### --- prevent execution of PmWiki in ALL from anywhere -----
<Directory "path/to/wwwhosts/ALL/pmwiki">
         <Files pmwiki.php>
                 Order allow,deny
                 Deny from all
         </Files>
</Directory>

I think (and other more experienced could confirm or deny) that you
could use the <Files ...> stuff in .htaccess in the same directory as
pmwiki.php.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/